Tuesday 1 November 2011

Punch magazine.

A poster by "Punch" magazine.
On our visit to the V&A last time the only thing that caught my eye apart from the witty posters by the 'private eye' was a poster that said that private eye only had one other competitor "Punch", which sadly shut down in 2002 due to lack of funds. At the museum we learnt a lot about private eye and the kind of work they thought worked, and for me it did work... but I thought, since they had only one strong competitor I should look at some of punch's works too and see the difference. If 'Punch' was the only competitor it must be good right? and it was. The poster above is pretty old, but it still works, n I think it always will. Like 'Private eye' Punch also put the truth out there in a way that it didn't offend most people, on the other hand made them aware of the harsh truths of society and themselves at times.

Now I think the private eye has become much bolder and stronger because, now more people are willing to give truth a chance. I think there should be more magazines like the private eye and I think they should be more popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment